1 – The Grandiose Baroque of Casa Professa
Each area shows an uninterrupted mantle of decorations, composed by many different elements: flowers, fruits, leaves, animals, putti, in a marble inlay of extreme mobility and grace, in an infinite range of colours.
The Church of Jesus, better known as Casa Professa, stands on a rise rich in dark recesses where, according to tradition, once took refuge holy hermits and where there are still early Christian catacombs. The first building on the balcony was a convent of Basilian monks, built in the ninth century.
Since then, several buildings have been built here, including five churches that were absorbed by the first Jesuit church, founded in 1564. Later on, this church was incorporated into another, whose construction was undertaken in 1591 and finished in 1633. A violent bombardment in 1943 destroyed much of the prestigious monument.