Archaeological parks in Sicily
The Archaeological Park is a magical place where the interweaving of culture and environment is presented in its most fascinating form.
A tour highlighting the natural stories that will make you appreciate the territory's geology, vegetation and fauna here and the historical accounts that tell us about architecture and urban planning there.
Spaces that have changed over time, thanks also to the presence of people, where the different aspects blend together harmoniously to reveal themselves to the visitor.
The highly innovative nature of the system of archaeological parks in Sicily, which developed in such a way that the trail involves all the territorial organisations, is largely provided by giving them scientific autonomy and organisational, administrative and financial research. This has made the system stronger and more dynamic, allowing the regional archaeological heritage to be preserved, managed, conserved and defended and make it easier to access. It’s an instrument of cultural and social growth, in a dynamic relationship with the surrounding world.
Sicily’s Archaeological Parks were conceived and curated down to the smallest details by the late councillor, Sebastiano Tusa, an internationally-known archaeological scholar, so the Parks involve fourteen territorial organisations: new experience-based trails that wind through extraordinary open-air museums.
All you have to do is choose your tour and set out with a one great goal: enjoy them all!
- Tour of the Valle dei Templi Archaeological and Landscape Park
- Tour of the Tindari Archaeological Park
- Tour of the Himera, Solunto and Jato Archaeological Park
- Tour of the Kamarina and Cava D’Ispica Archaeological Park
- Tour of the Gela Archaeological Park, Morgantina Archaeological Park and Casale di Piazza Armerina Roman Village
- Tour of the Aeolian Islands Archaeological Park
- Tour of the Catania and Valle dell’Aci Archaeological and Landscape Park, Naxos and Taormina Archaeological Park, Leontinoi Archaeological Park
- Tour of the Syracuse, Eloro and Villa del Tellaro Archaeological Park
- Tour of the Segesta Archaeological Park, Selinunte, Cave di Cusa and Pantelleria Archaeological Park, Lilybeo Archaeological Park
Did you really think that an extraordinary island like Sicily, with all its historical and cultural heritage, wouldn’t have other surprises in store for you? The archaeological tours continue… underwater! Find out more.
Share this content!
The Cave Necropolis of Pantalica
Not far from Syracuse (together with which it comprises a UNESCO World Heritage Site), this archaeological site stands on a [...]
Ancient Theatre of Catania
Everything's waiting to be discovered in Catania, a place that is at once exciting and contradictory, with its bold baroque [...]
The INDA Foundation, the National Institute of Ancient Drama, is a unique Italian success story. Since 1914, it has been [...]