Church of San Cataldo in Palermo
Church of San Cataldo
Part of the Norman-Arab Palermo route and the Cathedrals of Cefalù and Monreale UNESCO World Heritage, it is located next to the church of the Martorana.
Built in 1160 during the Norman period, it still retains its original forms with the three red domes of Arabic inspiration that, together with those of San Giovanni degli Eremiti, have become a graphic icon of Palermo as a multi-ethnic city.
Although unadorned, the interior is very evocative. This simplicity helps to highlight the rectangular structure, which is divided into three naves by six columns, with various capitals. The mosaic floor is original.