Castroreale, called the “faithful” by Frederick II of Aragon, is a medieval village in the north-western Peloritani site , near Messina. It is a place full of history, churches and works of art with a beautiful view; it is also home of the procession of the Cristo Lungo and the typical castrense cookie u biscottu Castriciano, created by the Poor Clares who lived in the Monastery of Santa Maria degli Angeli until 1866.
According to the legend, Castroreale dates back to several centuries before the birth of Christ, when a king named Artenomo came from the Middle East and founded a city in honour of his daughter Artemisia. Subsequently Castoreum – husband of Artemisia – built Krastos, a new settlement, that over time changed its name in Crastina, then in Cristina or Crizzina, and lasted until the early decades of the fourteenth century. The settlement played an important role during the Sicilian Vespers. As the Vespers demonstrated loyalty during the struggle against the Angevin, Frederick II of Aragon rewarded them by ordering the construction of a Castle with a diploma from 1324.
From this date the real history of the town begins: the town first took the name of Castro and then Castroreale.