Starting point: : Valguarnera Caropepe (EN)
– altitude a.s.l .: from 600 m up to 750 m
– route lenght: about km 65
– travel time: 2 days combined pace, breaks, refreshment and overnight stay
– technical difficulty: medium – low
– required equipment: gaiters/boots – cap/helmet
– available boxes: 3 plus 20 houseposting at the starting point, 10 boxes for the night break
– recommended period: between 20 March and 30 September
The walk in this area goes mostly through a vast forest, rich of non-endemic species such as eucalyptus, planted in the 1950s and 1960s for serving an important paper mill that should have risen in Piazza Armerina.
This 35 km route crosses the green equipped area of the Ronza Park, that host many species of birds, fallow deers, wild boars, porcupines and Tibetan goats.
The surface, definitely the best in Sicily, 90% consisting just of sand, leads to the shore of the Olivo dam, set in Barrafranca area, passing through the archaeological site of Montagna di Marzo, and then returning to Piazza Armerina in the afternoon.
You can also extend the route until the nearby Villa Romana del Casale, an important archaeological site included in the UNESCO World Heritage list, and admire the enchanting mosaics, still perfectly preserved.