1st starting point: Santa Venerina (CT)
2nd starting point: Nicolosi (CT)
– altitude a.s.l .: from 330 m up to 2970 m
– route lenght : every possible route is not less than 25 km
– travel time: from 6 hours up to days
– technical difficulty: medium-high
– required equipment : gaiters/boots – cap/helmet, high mountain outfit
– available boxes: 20 for each starting point
– recommended period : between 20 Aprile and 30 September
The rich renge of options offered by Mount Etna, the largest active volcano in Europe, included in the UNESCO World Heritage list, make it one one of the most attractive areas in Sicily.
Its incredible and varied tourist offer can satisfy a larg numeber of hikers with different skills, who however have to deal with a very particular territory, which alternates between a rugged nature, made mostly of sand and volcanic formations with their characteristic black color, and wooded areas, mostly beechs and birch trees, which have survided the lava flows throughout millennia.
Not only you have the opportunity to ride on horseback for 3 consecutive days making a complete tour around Etna, and reaching almost the top at an altitude of 3000 meters a.s.l., but you also can try alternative routes at lower altitudes, lasting from 2 to 5 hours, with panoramic, breathtaking views over the whole Ionian coast.
Not to mention the extraordinary faunal and floral biodiversity of the all area around Etna.
For more information about these natural areas, visit the Parco dell’Etna website or contact +39 095 821111